Rudolf Nicolay (1904-1984) and his son Bob Nicolay (1927-1988) began business in 1949. Located in a beautiful forest near Frankfurt / Main, Germany, their company made the first contact with the Soviet State Export Organizations in 1953 by buying carpets from the Caucasus and Central Asia. Since the early 1960s they imported antique Russian icons with certificates of authenticity by the Soviet Ministry of Culture, and by the end of the decade they were exporting contemporary Soviet art.
Nicolay & Son became official representative of the Union of Artists of USSR.
Wolfgang Baum joined Nicolay & Son in 1976, becoming general manager in 1989, partner with the Nicolay family in 1995, and owner since 2006.
Nicolay & Son discovered as pioneers the Soviet Impressionist Painting
School - the world' s greatest realism art movement of the 20th. Century - where artists reflected their political environment and daily hardships to find their inspiration and strength in the power of nature and human kind.
Through four decades the Nicolay collection was built up with passion and feeling for art investment - today with an inventory of about 2,500 works of known artists, works from Soviet and Post-Soviet era, individually selected for their quality.